The one I just read was called 'Hiring Strategies that Work.' It caught my attention because I am always talking with friends about getting jobs after college and what companies look for so that we are not apart of the statistic of grads graduating without a job. The article mentioned that companies are looking at potential employees from word of mouth. That reminded me of a saying "Its not necessarily what you but who you know." So networking and inquiring about a company is important. The next thing they really look at is the interviews, resumes, references, and phone interviews. Thank goodness for the career center here because they have a ton of resources to help with that!
Since I am a financial management major they predict that for those looking for a job in the next 12 months things will be pretty good. They say that about half of all the firms will be increasing their employment over that time and only five percent will be decreasing. Meaning the remaining 45 percent wont have much change. Those are pretty good odds if you ask me.
This article gave me hope and ideas of things that I need to work on in order to land a job post graduation. Hope this prediction is right though and nothing makes it take a turn for the worst.
For those who aren't a financial management major, how is your field of employment looking for when you graduate? I have heard that with the economy being the way it is, things have been tough but I am not sure for which fields. Would love to hear your feedback!
That is a good thing to read about your major. I don't believe my field is looking as good right now. I am in Civil Engineering and looking to go into construction. Hopefully things are beginning to pick up especially since you are in financial management. It is all connected back, once you get a job you should start encouraging people to begin building again. That way we can start turning things around.
ReplyDeleteSounds great! when i did the interviews for co-oping, they told us that the probability of getting an offer was about 50%. Luckily i got a few offers, but i am still worried about the job place when i graduate. I also, hear that the unemployment will decrease slowly, but surely. All of this almost makes me glad that I'm not graduating now compared to later.
ReplyDeleteIt is actually a pretty good time to be looking for a job in civil engineering with a majority of the stimulus bill money going into upgrading the U.S. infrastructure, such as roads, bidges, damns. I am still worried about getting a job though, because I would prefer to do work relating to structures which is a smaller discipline of civil engineering.
ReplyDeleteI agree that networking is a huge part of the job search. Networking doesn't always have to be with former employers or connection within a certain company, and I have recently realized that networking with all friends and family will help get the word out that you are looking for a job, even if they don't have direct ties to a job in your field. The job market for Industrial Engineers is looking solid right now. With an emphasis on improving existing products or processes I believe there will always be a need for IEs especially in an economy so focused on improving efficiency while minimizing waste. Hopefully with the work experience I gained while co-oping I will have a good chance of success when I graduate.
ReplyDelete