Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Are You Proactive?

Our economy has slowed down in the past year. We are in a recession. We are always hearing people complaining about it and how things are so hard. I have been one of those people. Jobs are being loss or pay is being cut, and while this is happening prices are going down with it, some are increasing. Not a fun thing.

This article I read was called ' Recession Creates Proactive Consumers.' It caught my attention because the way I have been viewing the recession is it has brought stress amongst a numerous amount of people. After really reading it, studies conducted have shown the opposite. It said that people are taking a more proactive approach on retirement, debt management, and personal finances. It has also showed that people are less stressed financially and are proactive in improving their situation.

The stress point was a shocker for me. I would have never thought. Have you noticed a higher number of people stressing because of the recession? What about people being more hands on when it comes to planning? I know I have seen people more hands on. For example my parents have sat down more and discussed retirement plans and their personal finances.

This article has made me think when we get out of the recession will people's attitudes change or will it be the same? I guess only time will tell.


2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised about the stress point as well. I know I hear my parents mention that that the economy is bad, and to me it seems like that would give people anxiety. However, I can understand how that would make people take a closer look at their expenses, and not spend money on frivolous things. I know for myself(as a poor college student), I try not to spend money eating out and things like that as much as I may have done if it was easier to find jobs.
    From what I've read and heard in the news, the economy seems to be looking up, but hopefully people will keep the proactive approach even in the face of better times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think people have learned the benefits of taking a hands on approach to their finances and that will carry over as the economy improves. If people are able to maintain their livelihood in a poor economy I think they will realize that the same approach in a growing economy will allow them to create an even better life than they had prior to the recession. As college students it is sometimes hard to fully understand the effects of a recession, I know I am oblivious to some of the effects, but as we graduate and hit the job market we will have to be on top of our game to compete. Hopefully things stay on the positive trend and we can start our careers in a growing economy.

    ReplyDelete