For me group projects are a love hate relationship. I love the fact that there are different inputs being given to a final product and that the work is shared. However if you get to a group where no one wants to contribute in a shape or form is frustrating. Sometime your better off just doing a project by yourself.
Each group project does in fact have different positions, whether they are "assigned" or not. From the handout in class, it was crazy how dead on the writer was when it came to positions. I have experienced group projects where at everyone has shown up. The controller, the passive/aggressive, the busy guy, the focuser, the tester, the risker, the leader. Personality is a big factor in which one fits you best. Thinking about it I associate with focuser most. I lay out goals and don't stop until they are done. I am also the group member who will always carry my weight and get things done. I don't complain about doing things either.
Im hoping this group project will go smoothly and we wont have any slackers or any problems. From the first meeting it seems as if we wont though so that is good.
Girl, I agree with you on the love hate relationship on group projects! I have a feeling that I am going to be the "busy guy" for this project. I work until 6 three days a week, and until 10 two days a week. But, I won't let this stop me from doing work. If I'm unable to attend a meeting, I really like to get an e-mail or have someone tell me what I need to do right after it happens so I can get to it. And if I'm unable to attend the next meeting, I'll always send out an e-mail to my group showing them what I've done and ask them for comments. Hopefully these group projects will go smoothly!
ReplyDeleteI'm kinda on the opposite side of this argument, since I don't really fall into any one particular title. I have always been the one that will do what work I need to and sit behind the scenes feeding what needs to be done to the group leader, because most of the time the group leaders I have had to deal with weren't fit to be the group leader. This leads to the argument of should the group leader be chosen or just allowed to take control. Because, initially there will be someone in a group who just wants to be in control of everything, but if they don't know how to organize the other people in the group or know more about what is going on than the rest, the whole group ends up getting less done so they can appease the narcissistic tendencies of the one person who took charge to begin with. So, I normally volunteer myself to be the person
ReplyDeleteI definitely think that that article will influence those who usually slack to do a better job with the project because I don't think they want to be labelled as that type of person. Personally, I would be that way if i was a slacker....which I'm not. I would probably classify myself as being the leader. The way I see it is if no one steps up to the plate to start picking/choosing roles then I will. I don't do it to get the smallest role, but I just want to get the ball rolling! Hopefully each person will realize throughout this project which personality they are and then they can either be proud of it or work on making their title better.
ReplyDelete