Thursday, September 16, 2010

Yay for feedback!

I was a little skeptical about the instructions and how I would be able to make a comprehendible set. Its difficult to write instructions on something that is second nature for you. Like cooking. I cook so much I improvise, don't measure, etc. So to sit down and draft it out so that it anyone can understand it is difficult. Hope i did a good job.

Im excited about getting to cook my chili this weekend so I can add pictures to my directions and make sure i have all the steps.

I have really enjoyed the draft and group evaluations of the instructions. So much constructive criticism, and I feel that it has really helped to make my instructions better.

Random but I have gotten all my days mixed up this week. Thinking today was Tuesday instead of Thursday. Definitely need to get it together to make sure I get my assignments done on time.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree that it is difficult to write instructions for something that is second nature to you. I thought that would be easier, especially since I have taught kids to play volleyball before, but it was still difficult to put into words instead of showing them in person and repositioning their bodies individually to correct them.

    I'm jealous that you can cook without measuring and just add stuff into the mixture. I'm fine with a recipe but you do NOT want me to create something. If you have any chili left over, I'd love to have some!!! :)

    I also agree that the group discussions have been really helpful. It's so difficult to proof your own writing so I was glad to have others review what I was doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that it can be difficult to write instructions for something you're already good at.

    For my project, I have to constantly be checking over what I'm writing because sometimes I don't realize I'm being vague, or I'm skipping over things that seem common sense to me but maybe not to others. The peer workshops have really been helpful in figuring out what I need to clarify in my instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very true when you are trying to write instructions for things you do without even thinking about it. It is hard to explain certain things in words as well. Sometimes it is just easier to show somebody how to do it rather than to explain it.

    That is why instructions can be more difficult to write than anticipated, because it is normally the experts on the topic that are asked to write the detailed instructions for everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your point that it is difficult to write instructions for something you know how to do well, which is why it is good to receive feedback from others who don't know. It is hard to think about what others need to know, and I ran into the same problem when writing instructions on how to change the oil on my truck.

    ReplyDelete